It has been my pleasure to work with the students of Weare Middle School, grades 5-8 for the past week. Some 600 kids worked on a total of 6 3′ x 4′ mosaic panels to help commemorate their town’s 250th anniversary. The students made their artwork based on photos borrowed from the Historical Society archives. We had 3 panels representing 3 different historic landmark buildings, and 3 panels representing the items that were either manufactured or grown and harvested in that area. The villages made everything from linseed oil and boots, to wooden toys and rope. The students worked hard on these enormously detailed mosaics, especially on the buildings. The had to learn perspective and did a great job on getting all the angles right, which isn’t easy! Also, in addition to the recycled stained glass, we used tiny bits of mirror for windows and tiny bricks made of porcelain tiles all cut by hand! Running across the bottom of each of the six panels are sets of railroad tracks and in between the tracks we incorporated real gravel. The tracks truly “tie” it all together! In just four days, the panels were ready for grouting and on the 5th day we were able to do just that. Soon, we’ll remove the masking tape on the frames and give them a final coat of paint in preparation for the installation. The students, teachers, principal and staff of WMS certainly have a lot to be proud of. Thanks for having me at your school, it was a real pleasure! Well done everyone!
- NH Chronicle is coming here tomorrow to do a story on Kast Hill Studio and my work in schools! I'm so excited!... fb.me/6Lwu3daLu 1 week ago
- About to embark on another incredibly busy school year of artist in residency programs. I'm so excited for this... fb.me/6IwfgxhVa 3 weeks ago
- Kast Hill Studio is hosting a massive barn and yard sale this weekend; Sat. 8/19 & Sun. 8/20, 8-4 and 9-3.... fb.me/E9sPZZlt 1 month ago
- I just wrote a review on AdreCor 180c by NeuroScience yotpo.com/go/nQGdwYYp via @yotpo 1 month ago
- It's been awhile since I've posted anything... just taking a little break from school projects, ... some private... fb.me/8XSHzKLbL 1 month ago
- architectural mosaic art artist artist residency arts market art walk backsplash back splashes broken china china china shards commission commissions commitment community community mosaic project concord conference crafts creative custom deerfield fair demonstration dragon fairs festivals food found objects frame fun garbage garden garden goddess inspiration inspired interior design kast hill studio kids library mosaic mosaic demonstration mosaics mosaic workshops mosiac mountains music new new blog new england new hampshire nh NH State Home Show outdoor sculpture photos pique assiette play pricing project recycled recycling residency school sculpture shows sketch spring stained glass studio summer teaching artists toadstools vermont wasteland winter workshops